Whether it’s a sensitivity to gluten or for preferred health reasons, more and more opt to follow gluten-free diets. Gluten-free means cutting out the protein gluten found in grains like wheat, barley, rye. The claimed benefits of going gluten-free are:
- weight loss,
- improved overall health,
- and increased energy.
Anyone who’s considering removing gluten from their diet needs to note that this change will overhaul their overall intake of fibre, vitamins, and other nutrients. ActivEats is a healthy food delivery service that serves two weekly alternating menus made without gluten or dairy, to guarantee that every mealtime offers a nutritionally balanced meal.
Finding a gluten-free restaurant or finding gluten-free items in the grocery store that taste good and that fulfill your nutritional needs might still present a challenge. ActivEats can take care of your breakfast, lunch, and dinners. What about dessert?
Here’s a list of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto to satiate your sweet tooth.
Five of the Best Gluten-Free Bakeries in Toronto
- Bunner’s Bakeshop: Cakes, bread, cinnamon buns, cupcakes galore! Bunner’s Bakeshop is a time-tested favourite among those looking for the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto. Not only are they gluten-free, Bunner’s Bakeshop is also vegan. Baked fresh daily, this Kensington Market-based bakery serves offers delicious gluten-free and vegan bread, cinnamon buns, and muffins.Starting in a local farmer’s market in Toronto offering gluten-free products, founders Wittig and MacAllister saw the need in Toronto for gluten-free bakeries that also offered vegan items and the excitement that their growing client-base showed whenever they crowded the stand. Eight years after Bunner’s Bakeshop moved into a brick and mortar location in Kensington Market, Bunner’s remains as one of Toronto’s best gluten-free bakeries. It has two retail locations (one in Kensington Market and the second in the Junction) and offers wholesale to other retailers. From butter tarts, veggie potpies, to even vegan soft serve ice cream, this truly is one of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto.Bunners in the Junction (3054 Dundas St. West) is open 10-7 from Mondays through Saturdays, and 10-5 on Sundays.In Kensington Market (244 Augusta Ave.), Bunners Bakeshop is open Mondays through Sundays from 10 to 7.
- Almond Butterfly: The Almond Butterfly believes that gluten-free should taste great! One of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto, the Almond Butterfly has become a staple for morning bagel and coffee runs in Toronto’s Harbord Village since its 2011 founding. From the titular cupcake flavor, Almond Butterfly, to the Strawberry Milkshake cupcake, this Toronto gluten-free bakery brings all the boys to the yard. You can pre-order cupcakes to make sure your choice of gluten-free cupcake flavours are available when you come in. Almond Butterfly offers a wide variety of gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan options. You can also order vegan date squares, vegan and raw paleo coconut bites, paleo almond flaxseed muffins, and so many more. This best gluten-free bakery in Toronto also boasts a partnership with Social Coffee & Tea Co. for on-site roasted coffee. Fresh, cold-pressed juices are also available at this Toronto gluten-free bakery.Almond Butterfly in Harbord Village (100 Harbord St.) is open 8-7 from Mondays through Saturdays, and 8-6 on Sundays.
- Cock-a-Doodle-Doo Gluten-Free Bakeshop: Where demand for gluten-free sourdough is so high, you have to reserve a loaf! Somewhere in the stretch of Bloor St. between Dufferin St. and Christie Pits Park sits one of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto. Cock-a-Doodle-Doo Gluten-free Bakeshop is 100% gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free. Everything within its four walls is made in-house, using ingredients like buckwheat to sub wheat flour and coconut sugar to replace refined sugars. Mini pizzas, vegan pumpkin pie, quiches, and vegan shortbread cookies – enjoy savoury gluten-free baked goods to sweet treats at this gluten-free bakery in Toronto.Not only does this Toronto gluten-free bakery serve up delicious treats that wake you up and energize you through the day, Cock-A-Doodle-Doo’s loved by its patrons for their service with a smile too.Visit the friendly staff and try one of Toronto’s best gluten-free bakery from Tuesdays through Saturdays from 11 to 6:30 at 830 Bloor St. West in Toronto’s Bloorcourt Village.
- De Floured Bakery: If you’ve never tried gluten-free goodies because of its reputation of tasting like paper, then it’s time for a visit to this punny gluten-free bakery in Toronto for a deflowering. Defloured Bakery is one of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto. It’s a dedicated Gluten-Free Bakery in Toronto’s West End. De Floured also frequents farmer’s markets, including the Sorauren Market, Dufferin Grove, and the Evergreen Brickworks farmer’s markets. Founded by Krista Tobias, this unmarked shop has earned the reputation of being one of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto with its seasonal baked good displays, personal-sized pumpkin pies, apple raspberry turnovers, and more. Their prices range from $2 to $12, with twelve to twenty items available at any given time.Visit one of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto at 1250 College St. between 9:30-5 from Wednesdays through Saturdays, and 11-5 on Sundays.
- Whisked Gluten-Free Bakery: Further east in Scarborough, anyone craving a sweet fix from one of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto gets lucky with Whisked Gluten-Free Bakery. The 2018 winner of Top Gluten-Free Bakeshop in Toronto and boasting a certified dedicated gluten-free facility, Whisked offers daily specials from macarons, mini cookies, scones, mini muffings, and cookies. Anyone with a gluten sensitivity or who requires a gluten-free diet because of any other reason will be excited to find a bakery purged of proteins glutenin and gliadin. Squares and bars, breads and rolls, muffins and more – enjoy a totally gluten-free experience at this gluten-free bakery.This Scarborough-based gluten-free bakery is also a champion of its community. Whisked Gluten-Free Bakery is part of a Zero Waste Program. This means that no edible food goes to waste at Whisked Gluten-Free Bakery. Instead, products that aren’t fit for sale because they’re overcooked or cracked are donated to 5N2 Foods and served to families in need in the community. This initiative, and the great quality of their gluten-free baked goods, marks Whisked Gluten-Free Bakery as one of Toronto’s definite best gluten-free bakeries.
For all other Gluten-Free Meals Needed, there’s ActivEats
Above are some of the best gluten-free bakeries in Toronto. Beyond desserts and maybe a coffee run, you might still be looking for gluten-free goodies. We cater to your gluten sensitivity/dietary requirements – our two menus of breakfast, lunch, and dinner are made without gluten or dairy! Portioned already so you don’t go well beyond the calories you need to take in a day, our meal sets are available in 1500 or 2000 calories, in increments of five or seven day meals, with or without breakfast. Let ActivEats power your active lifestyle with nutritious meals every day – without any gluten or dairy ingredients.